Here Is Your Complete Guide To Lowering Your Roof Maintenance Costs
Every year, millions of people have to replace their roofs due to weathering or storm damages. Roof replacement and repair is a huge investment, and most of the time, it can make a big part of your home maintenance budget.
Here is a complete guide to help you lower your roof maintenance costs and save massive amounts of money.
Signs that your roof needs an upgrade
- Multiple leakages in the building
Damages in any of the components of the roofing system can result in leakages in the house during hail or rainy season. This moisture can further damage the interiors and the foundation of your building.
- Broken or cracked shingles
Gradual weathering can cause your shingles to crack. Cracked shingles are not able to keep moisture from penetrating your roofing system.
- Missing granules
The colored granules on the top of your shingles help to reflect sunlight off and thus keep the interiors cool. Missing granules can cause your house to heat up and add to your air-conditioning costs.
- Severe damage
A lot of times, the roofs get damaged during rains, thunder or hail storms. Such damages can affect other components of the roof and the overall shelf life of the roofing system.
Tips to prolong your roof’s life
Even though one has to eventually replace their roof after a few decades, these maintenance tips can help to extend the lifespan of the roof on your home:
- Inspect your shingles on a regular basis
The first step towards roof maintenance is the inspection of the shingles. So, climb up that ladder frequently to keep a check on those shingles, especially after a storm, as damaged shingles are a clear sign of a damaged roof. Check if they are cracking, curling, worn off, or missing.
- Look for leakage in the attic and ceiling system
Another clear sign that your roof needs maintenance is water stains inside your building. Moisture gets accumulated in the house gradually with activities like boiling water, shower, and rain. Check your ceiling and attic regularly. Also, check if you feel some musty odor in certain rooms, bulging patches on interior walls, or water stains on the ceiling.
- Inspect your chimney regularly
Do not forget to keep a check on your chimney for missing mortar or cracks. Any amount of structural damage in the walls of your chimney can be dangerous as it can cause the bricks to start falling out or even worse – make your chimney collapse. Therefore, patch up your chimney as soon as you feel the need.
- Wash your roof frequently
Sometimes, you can notice long and dark streaks running down from the peak to the eave of your roof. That is algae, and that happens when you don’t wash your roof regularly. Algae don’t cause any damage to your roof, but if left untreated for a long time, it can cause those shingles to rot. Therefore, make sure to wash your roof regularly. You take the help from
- Clean the gutters
Cleaning the gutters of your roof is an imperative part of roof maintenance. Clogged gutters result in accumulation of water and moisture that slowly penetrates your roofing system and causes moisture damage. Therefore, don’t forget to clean those gutters at least twice a year.
- Trim problematic branchesOverhanging branches on your roof can prove to be very dangerous as they can fall on your roof during a storm and cause severe damage. Also, falling leaves from overhanging branches can pile on top of your shingles, absorb moisture, and ultimately cause damage. So, trim out any problematic branches before they become havoc.
How to find an affordable roofer?
While regular maintenance can help to save massive costs in the future, expensive roofing services can drain all your savings. Therefore, you must take your time to look for an affordable roofer.
However, make sure you don’t end up hiring an amateur in order to save some more bucks. Here are a few tips for finding a reliable roofing service that is not going to cut a hole in your pocket:
- Ask for recommendations from your friends and family. You can always rely on the choice of your loved ones.
- Search online for affordable roofing services near you. Don’t forget to check their reviews before you head towards making a deal.
- Ask for your roofer’s license and insurance documents.
- Hire someone with enough experience to install a durable roof for your home/office.
Clearly, we can conclude that regularly maintaining your roof pays long term benefits. If you take proper care of your roof, it will last longer. But if you don’t, the replacement and repair costs can be catastrophic.
Also, you can save some extra bucks by taking your time to find an affordable but reliable roofer.